The biggest hurdle with the HTC Desire Z is trying to screen capture it. I can’t use another camera, because the screen is so reflective. I also can ‘root’ the phone, since it’s not mine to begin with.
Anyways, I first started with an App called “ShootMe”. It doesn’t work because it needs to be “root”-ed, just like any other apps. I’ve tried ashot from sourceforge. That doesn’t work too. Now I’m using Adroid SDK on Windows7 platform. It took me 3 days to figure this out.
1. Install HTC Sync (file called “setup_3.0.5439.exe”) from your HTC Desire Z using a USB cable. It’s located in the sdcard of the phone. This is to ensure you have the right driver for USB connection.
2. Download & Install Java JDK. This is fairly straightforward.
3. Download & Install Android SDK. Choose your operating system, if you’re on Windows, pick the executable file (recommended)
4. Run SDK Manager. The SDK Manager will prompt you will all sorts of update. To make life simpler, update all. This will probably take you 1/2 day on wired broadband as each update is about 60-70mb. But if you’re tight, choose “SDK Platform Android 2.2 API8, revision 2”
5. Once the update is done, go to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools. Copy the following file and paste it C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools
If you don’t do this step, you’ll be prompted with “Failed to parse the output of adb version” or other nasty adb failure. (ADB means Android Driver Bridge)
6. Connect your HTC Desire Z, and go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development and make sure the USB debugging is checked.
7. Go to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools double click on “ddms.bat”. It will launch a software that looks like this.
8. On top, click “Device” and choose “Screen Capture”. Alternatively press CTRL + S.
9. Now go do your review or what ever you want to do with it! Have fun.
Leave a comment if you need help or any discrepancies found throughout this tutorial. I’ll try my best to answer them.
ps: The battery life of HTC Desire Z is pretty weak!