Reminder for NH: When you become a father, you will avoid these one-sided talks.. AT ALL COST!
Mom: When are you getting married?
Mom: My friend’s daughter is an architect at Hijaz Architect
NH: … (signalling do I look like I care mom?)
Mom: You want to marry a doctor, it’ll probably take time.
Well mom, it’ my preference to wed a doctor. Don’t shove leftovers (no pun intended) on my plate. I have many ambitions. Let me accomplish them first and we’ll talk about marriage later ok? Besides, how am I supposed to take care of someone if I can’t even manage myself?
Oh and mom, I’m not desperate ok.
Dad: Why not an architect?
NH: Because I’d be jealous day in day out. (I wanted to be become an architect)
Dad: You could do it now. Back then I was so independent. I came home and showed my dad I got a degree in Engineering. (boasting)
NH: … (me making weird faces, dunno, dont want to listen)
Dad: As soon as I completed my final paper, I reported to work the following Monday.
Dad, did you forget that you wanted or rather forced me to undertake engineering. I could’ve retaliate if I wanted to, but I didn’t want to upset you and so I spent 4 years doing something I dislike. I brought home a stupid scroll, which I don’t know which drawer I kept it.
Speak of the devil, so you want to compare your first 25-years of accomplishments to mine? Ok, let’s do the best 7!
- I wrote my first tender (100% by me) when I was 19 and won the contract. Where were you?
- I started my professional career at the age of 21, where were you?
- I ran my own company at the age of 22, where were you?
- I’ve met so many CEO’s at the age of 24, where were you?
- I was so good at technical writing, I was hired as a consultant at 24, where were you?
- I was offered a 5 digit salary as an engineer at the age of 23 (but I declined, I don’t want to be an engineer), where were you?
- By the age of 23, I secured a total of 20Mil worth of projects, where were you?
- Optional consideration: And I’m not 25 yet!
So NH, let me remind you, don’t be a jerk and boast like hell. He/She (your kids) could be better than you in every aspect.
Till then, stupid family self promoting talks annoys me.
ps: Ahh.. finally I could take something off my chest, feels good!